Monday, December 13, 2010

Cozy Living - For a Couple and their Four Dogs


I haven't blogged in a while because I've been in Los Angeles finishing up a project.  These are some quick shots from the California home.  The client loves Chinese and ethnic decor and wanted a blue and white scheme.  Four dogs have run of the house so I chose beige fabrics instead of white.  I also made sure the area rugs contained pattern to hide all the dogie hair.  In a prior post I spoke about the importance of quality area rugs, and that they will last a lifetime and beyond.  The area rug for the family room is a good example of this.  An Oushak wool rug from Pakistan was the perfect choice for the space because of the vibrant blue color and graceful patterns it contained.  The coffee table is very durable and will hold up to any dog jumping on it since it's made from reclaimed wood and steel.



Continuing the blue theme in the bedroom, I introduced chocolate also.  The contrast of white, chocolate and blue creates interest and a sense of playfulness.  Here, I found zinc bedside tables to flank the wood sleigh bed, and blond wood antique Tibetan finials that I converted into lamps.  Keeping with the semi exotic feeling, I hung blue Cameroon head dresses on the wall and added a zebra bench and Moroccan pouf.  The pull and play of different materials and fabrics is key to achieving a cozy atmosphere.



For the powder room, I felt my clients needed a little drama and the illusion of more space, so I suggested the mosaic glass tile wall which reflects the glow of the sconces beautifully.  I removed an old fashioned vanity that was too wide and much too tall for the room, which was crowding the area.  I replaced it with a custom concrete vessel sink which sits on top of a simple cabinet.  The large early American mirror from Pennsylvania along with the polished nickel accents completes the small space.  

Objects from different corners of the globe with casual fabrics and materials bring cozy living to this family of six.

No comments:

Post a Comment